What is the SEEK Summer Academy?

The SEEK Summer Academy Program is a tuition free five-week, academic program for incoming freshmen who have been admitted through the SEEK Program. The program provides participants with rigorous course work in English, Mathematics, and Writing.

How long is the SEEK Summer Academy Program?

The SEEK Summer Academy Program is a five week program which runs in the month of July for about 4 weeks.

Is the SEEK Summer Academy mandatory?

The SEEK Summer Program is mandatory for all incoming freshmen. Under extreme circumstances some students are exempt with prior approval from the Director. An acceptable excuse is that if a student is required to be in summer school in order to fulfill the requirements for high school graduation before they can obtain their diploma. Books are purchased by the Program and students are also provided with a stipend upon the completion of the mandatory Summer Program.

Do SEEK students have to take special courses?

SEEK students at John Jay College have the same academic requirements for their major and electives as other students. Students select a major from each of the disciplines offered at John Jay College. Each student enrolls in the required, rigorous general education curriculum that provides a strong foundation for Academic and personal success.

How do I withdraw or resign from a course?

Before dropping any courses, you must consult with your SEEK Counselor before dropping a course. You can withdraw or resign from a course electronically at the Jay Stop web page: http://jstop.jjay.cuny.edu. Students should be aware that resigning may affect financial aid.

How do I declare a major?

Students can declare a major by completing the following form http://jstop.jjay.cuny.edu/forms/Declaration_of_Major.pdf which is available at the Jay Stop Service Center in Room L.79NB.

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and your SEEK Counselor in reviewing your degree progress. It easily identifies courses you have completed and what courses you still need in order to fulfill your degree requirements. More information about degree works can be found at the following link http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/degree-works#Q3

How do I access Degree Works? 

It is very simple! Go to the CUNY Portal login at www.jjay.cuny.edu  if you do not have a CUNY portal account, follow the directions given.

Do I automatically graduate if everything is checked off in my audit?

In order to graduate, you must submit a request for a Graduation Audit with the Registrar's Office. There is no fee for this application. The Graduation Audit application can be submitted electronically. Go to The Jay Stop at http://jstop/index.php and select the “Graduation Audit” link. The Graduation Audit application should be submitted during the first two weeks of your final semester and before each semester’s deadline and cleared all accounts with the College.

What are the requirements for graduation?

Candidates for the degree are required to complete 120 credits. All degree candidates must have completed all required courses, fulfilled the requirements of their majors, and achieved at least a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.

How do I apply for graduation?

Candidates must submit an application for their degree online (visit the Jay Stop/My JJC) or in person at the Jay Stop Service Center by the date prescribed in the undergraduate academic calendar. To view the College’s instructions on how to apply for graduation.

I was in good academic standing when I left the college. How do I apply for readmission?

All undergraduate students with a cumulative grade point averages of 2.00 or higher in a 4.00 scale are automatically processed for readmission provided they do not have disciplinary stops or testing stops for either placement tests or the CUNY Proficiency Examination. You may apply for readmissions by logging into the following website https://jstop.jjay.cuny.edu/readmission/index.php

I was not in good academic standing when I left the college. How do I apply for readmission?

Undergraduate students who have earned a grade point average less than 2.00 on the 4.00 scale must have their academic records reviewed for readmission consideration by the Undergraduate Readmission Committee. If the Committee is in favor of your readmission, you must then meet with your SEEK Counselor. You will be notified by mail to schedule a mandatory readmission interview where the course schedule for the subsequent semester is discussed, along with academic and personal planning. You may apply for readmissions by logging into the following website https://jstop.jjay.cuny.edu/readmission/index.php. Applications for readmission may also be submitted in person at the Office of Jay Express Services. Completed applications, with the appropriate fee in cash (in-person only), check, or money order can be submitted to the Office of Jay Express Service. For mail applications, student will be notified of the status of their readmission and registration date.

How can I find out who my counselor is?

SEEK Counselors are assigned to every student at the beginning of their freshman year. If you are not sure of your Counselor’s name, you may check with the SEEK Front Office. Counselors will provide the academic, personal and career support which facilitates a student’s success.

I don't have any problems. Do I have to see my counselor?

Counseling is an integral part of the SEEK Program. Our SEEK Counselors are committed to providing you with the attention, guidance, and structured support to assist you in meeting the demands of college.

How often must I see my counselor?

SEEK Students must see their counselor at least three times per semester.

When do I apply for financial aid?

Students must apply, and then reapply, for Financial Aid every academic year. You are encouraged to start the application process as early January, for the following Fall semester. Students should apply as early as possible using their most accurate tax filing information.

What are the academic requirements to qualify for financial aid?

There are academic requirements that must be met in order to qualify and to remain eligible for Federal and New York State Financial Aid. Students must maintain the required Grade Point Average, and complete the required number of credits per semester.

I am planning on transferring but was not in an opportunity program at my previous college. Can I apply for an opportunity program now?

No. You must have been accepted into and participate in an Opportunity Program when you first began college.

How many semesters of SEEK financial aid and services am I eligible for?

SEEK students are eligible to receive a maximum of ten (10) semesters of Tuition Assistance Program. Students may receive SEEK to cover the cost of the CUNY fees. SEEK students may receive a grant for books and supplies.

How many semesters can I be out of college and still be eligible for my SEEK Status?

The maximum length of time for a leave of absence shall not exceed three consecutive semesters. Where special circumstances warrant, requests for exceptions, along with appropriate justification, shall be transmitted by the SEEK director to the University's Office of Special Programs.

What is the maximum number of semesters are SEEK students placed on probation?

The standard probationary period for all SEEK Program students shall be a maximum of two consecutive semesters. Students who fail to achieve the required standards after the probationary period shall be dropped from the Program.