International Crime & Justice FAQs

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about the IC&J MA Program. If you have additional questions, please contact us!

What are the prerequisites for applying to the program?

The Master of Arts in International Crime & Justice Program welcomes applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution, or international equivalent, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. In addition, applicants should have successfully completed an undergraduate statistics course. Students may be conditionally admitted without undergraduate statistics but must complete this course within the first year of the program.

Can I complete an advanced certificate while enrolled in the program?

Yes. John Jay College of Criminal Justice offers various Advanced Certificate Programs. Of the many certificate programs, the Advanced Certificate in Transnational Organized Crimes Studies (ACTOCS) is an interdisciplinary program that offers advanced instruction on the nature, dynamics, causes, and control of those crime phenomena that pose a challenge to more than one country and call for international cooperation.

Is it possible to transfer the credits of a graduate course I successfully completed at another college? What is the procedure?

Matriculated graduate students can transfer up to 12 credits and must have completed all courses with a grade of B or higher. Credits completed more than seven years preceding the time of graduate application for admission will not be accepted. Note: Credit for courses taken on E-permit at other CUNY colleges will be included in the 12 credits available for transfer. The student must complete the Request for Transfer Credit form and request the approval of the appropriate Master’s Program Director. The form is available from the Jay Express on the L floor, New Building.

Are scholarships available specifically for IC&J MA students?

There are no special scholarships for IC&J MA students, but many general scholarships are perfectly suitable. Follow the following link for a list of scholarships for graduate students:

Are there scholarships available for international students?

Yes, international students are eligible to apply for scholarships providing that they meet the requirements. There are scholarships listed on the John Jay College of Criminal Justice website that are specifically for international students. Further information is available via:

Is financial aid available for this program?

Generally, there is no financial aid available for students at the graduate level. Students should refer to the financial aid office for information on the types of aid available to them on the following website:

Does the program offer foreign language courses as part of the curriculum?

No, advanced foreign language courses are not offered by the MA in International Crime & Justice Program. Graduate level justice-themed language courses, or study-abroad courses, may count as program electives at the discretion of the program director. Students are allowed to utilize the John Jay College of Criminal Justice Modern Language Center located in 7.64, New Building. Students can participate in selected language conversation tables or use Rosetta Stone on site, in the language of their choice. All resources provided by the center are free for students, more information is available here:

How many credits do I need to complete the degree?

Students are required to complete a total of 36 credits to receive a Master of Arts degree in International Crime & Justice. These credits include 8 core courses, 4 electives or completion of a certificate program in Transnational Organized Crime Studies or Terrorism Studies. Students may accumulate more than 36, but no more than 60 credits.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

Students have up to eight (8) years to complete all requirements for their degree, beginning from the semester they begin.

What GPA do I need to maintain to stay in the program?

Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be in good standing in the program and to graduate. Students who decide to undertake a thesis or internship must maintain an overall minimum GPA of 3.5.

Is an internship a requirement to completing the program?

No, while internships may be beneficial for students, they are not a requirement. Students may pursue them as part of the internship course (ICJ 780), as part of a three-credit independent study course (ICJ 794), or as a volunteer (i.e. Not for credit).

How do I find an internship that is relevant to my course of study?

Students can consult with Advisors at the Center for Career and Professional Development in L72.00NB. Your program director as well as your professors may also have ideas for internship placements. The internship track is a six-credit course which requires 280 hours satisfactorily at an approved placement as well as additional online coursework (ICJ780). Because the internship course is offered online, you are encouraged to seek internship placements outside the tristate area and abroad.

Are students in the IC&J MA program allowed to do an independent study course?

Yes, students are allowed only one independent study course, ICJ 794. Students must have completed 12 credits with a GPA of 3.2 to do an independent study course. Also, the faculty supervising the independent study course must be a graduate full time faculty member.

What does the thesis entail?

A thesis is done entirely one on one between the student and their advisor, via two three-credit courses, ICJ 791 and ICJ 792. Students must have an overall minimum 3.5 GPA to complete a thesis. Students must produce a traditional thesis or publishable manuscript for a journal article. Students interested in the thesis track should read the graduate thesis guidelines.

Do I have to take CRJ 716 after I complete ICJ 715?

Effective Fall 2018, the International Crime & Justice program has revised the core requirement, ICJ 715: Research Methods in IC&J to ICJ 715: Applied Research Methods in IC&J. Students who have taken the old model of ICJ 715 as of Spring 2018, are the ONLY students required to enroll in CRJ 716: Using Computers in Social Research to complete their core requirements.

Are there conferences that IC&J students can attend?

We highly recommend that students attend professional conferences, such as the annual conference of the American Society of Criminology in November ( or the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences in March ( These conferences offer reduced registration rates for students. Students who are members of the United Nations Students Association can attend the National Model United Nations Conference. The Peer Advisor has an information sheet of academic and professional associations that students may be interested in joining.

Are the professors easily accessible?

Professors are required to keep weekly office hours, which should be noted on their syllabus. Most professors are also accessible via email or virtual office hours on Blackboard.

Are all students required to take a comprehensive exam to exit the program?

Effective Spring 2018, students in the IC&J MA program are NOT required to complete a comprehensive exam to graduate.

Are there any graduation awards given?

Yes, the Master of Arts Degree Program in International Crime & Justice gives a yearly award to the graduating student with the highest GPA in the program. The award is presented at the annual Graduate Hooding Ceremony. We also have an internal program award, the International Service Award. This award recognizes the work of one graduating student every academic year that has gone above and beyond in giving back to the international community while enrolled in the program.

Contact Us


Haaren Hall 422.11