Transfer and Advanced Standing Credits

Transfer and Advanced Standing Credits

Transfer Credits

" "The evaluation of transfer credit takes place in the Office of Testing and Evaluation (212.237.8108; room L71.00 NB).  Each transfer student has their advanced standing credit evaluated prior to their first enrollment at the College.  Transfer students are not permitted to register until their transfer credit evaluation is completed and is available electronically.
The City University of New York Application Processing Center (UAPC) verifies the accreditation of the students’ prior institutions and decides whether they are accredited or not prior to the admissions of students.  Students coming from institutions not on the accredited institution list should contact the Admissions Office at regarding the transferability of their credits.  Transfer institutions for students admitted directly to the College will be verified through and the accrediting institution list certified for CUNY is the following:

  • Middlestates Association of Colleges and Schools            
  • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools 
  • New England Association of Schools and College, inc/Commission on Institutions of Higher Education 
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, inc/Commission on Technical and Career Institutions
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools /Commission on Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities 
  • accreditation by the NYS Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education of the colleges currently listed on the NYSED college accreditation site


Courses transferred within the CUNY system are granted credit toward the 120 credits a student needs for degree completion from John Jay College. Generally speaking, all courses from within CUNY with a grade of D- or better are transferred.  

Students who transfer from colleges outside of CUNY have their courses evaluated on a course by course basis.  There is an equivalency set up for a variety of common transfer institutions.  All current articulation agreements are posted to the College web site. Courses with grades of C or better are transferred for credit.  Students who received passing grades less than C will be excused from equivalent courses at John Jay College but will not receive credit.

Transfer credits are evaluated by a member of the transfer credit evaluation team and reviewed and entered into the student system by another for security and consistency basis.  In order to enhance both consistency in the evaluation of transfer records and provide for greater security in the transfer process, transfer credit evaluation and data entry are performed in the Office of Testing and Evaluation under Karen Rambharose, the Director of the office.  There is a manual of transfer credit evaluation documents provided to all evaluators.

All credit earned at accredited colleges will be acepted for transfer credit at John Jay.

Up to 45 credits from external, non-college sources, such as law enforcement or fire academies, military , or standardized test.

Please note: To receive a degree from John Jay College, you must take a minimum of 30 credits at the College, including at least 50 percent of an approved major or specialization.

Transfer Credit for In-Service students 
Students who are graduates of the New York City Police Academy, the New York City Fire Academy and the New York City Department of Corrections Academy are accepted as direct transfers to the College.  In addition to transfer credits subject to the policies described above, these students also receive transfer credit based on their training which has been evaluated by the College.  These course credits vary by training academy and are published in the undergraduate bulletin under “External Credit for Public Safety Personnel”.  These credits may not exceed the College’s limit of 30 “external” credits.

External credit for other police, fire and corrections training academies are evaluated by academic departments as the need arises.  The Office of Testing and Evaluation maintains lists of previously evaluated training.

Military Credit 
The College accepts credit evaluations of military training from the American College on Education (ACE).  According to CUNY policy, students may receive up to 12 credits in external credit for military training.  Students who provide proof of military service by virtue of a DD214 form are granted 4 credits of blanket credit.

Equivalent Credit 
Equivalent credit is handled through the individual academic department in which the student seeks credit.  It is granted for knowledge gained from either work-related or other qualifying experience. The Equivalent Credit application is available at

Foreign Credit 
A student with foreign credentials accepted to John Jay College and deemed by the University Application Processing Center to have earned college credits based on examinations taken during high school or at a postsecondary institution will be granted college credits at John Jay College on a case-by-case basis.