Student Enrollment Breaks for Military Service

Student Enrollment Breaks for Military Service

John Jay College supports students who temporarily discontinue their studies due to military service. Students facing or considering military service breaks in their John Jay studies are strongly encouraged to contact the Military and Veteran Services Manager at If you are receiving veteran or military educational benefits, also email the Veteran Certifying Official at

Click tab for the Specific Information


Military reserve students who are recalled to active duty in the US armed forces after having attended regularly for 13 or more weeks (5 or more weeks for summer session) or having completed 85% of the term's work through acceleration may be given full credit for each course in which he or she has a grade of C or better. Students departing John Jay studies to begin active military service may request similar consideration. Immediately after receiving orders, such students should contact both their instructors and Enrollment Management/Jay Express Service Center. 


Military reserve students recalled to active duty who do not meet attendance requirements sufficient to earn a grade may be entitled to a 100% refund of tuition and fees, except application fees. For students who discontinue studies to begin active military service, the amount of the refund depends upon whether the withdrawal is before the 5th week of classes. Students withdrawing prior to the beginning of the 5th week (3rd week in the Summer Session/Winter Session) are entitled to 100% refund of tuition and all fees except application fees. Students withdrawing after the 5th week (or the 3rd week for Summer Session/Winter Session) are entitled to a 50% refund of tuition and fees.

Readmission of Veterans

Veterans returning from military service who were in good standing in their John Jay studies (undergraduate GPA 2.0; graduate GPA 3.0) are automatically processed for readmission upon application. Upon presentation of a DD214 and/or orders, the readmission deadline date, fee and penalty fees will be waived. Readmission may be granted for veterans who were in a probationary or non-degree status in their John Jay studies. Their readmission applications must be approved by the undergraduate Readmission Committee or Graduate Dean of Students, and may include other requirements.

Readmission applications may be made at the Jay Express Service Center or through the online application found at: